Thursday 23 September 2010

Lemon Chilli Broth with Turkey Meatballs

Turkey mince doesn't taste of much, but it's lean, it's cheap and it's a variation on the ubiquitous beef and chicken. So with lots of herbs and spices, a PP meal can become a very tasty treat! I kept thinking of the Italian holiday dish Tortellini in Brodo when I made this, although I've never tasted it, but this is what I imagine it could taste like.

I use a magimix for this because I like my mince to be chopped alot finer than it is when I buy it. It means it cooks faster and the resulting texture is more moist.

In a blender, put:
Turkey mince (but chicken or beef would work as well, I guess)
1 onion
2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
lots of finely chopped herbs (I recommend rosemary or sage)
1 egg
Salt & Pepper

Mix well and form into small meatballs and leave to rest (ideally in the fridge, as this firms them up and prevents them breaking apart during cooking).

Meanwhile, make a strong broth with a some beef or chicken stock, more chopped rosemary and garlic, LOTS of lemon juice and a tsp of dried chilli flakes. Leave to bubble away on low/medium heat.

While the broth is bubbling, cook the meatballs 2 min on each side in a lightly oiled frying pan. When they are brown on both sides, but you can still tell they are raw in the middle, transfer them one by one to the broth to finish cooking. The broth should only be simmering, as any more boiling would break up the meat balls. Serve in plates/bowls that are flat enough to use the bottom to break up the balls, in case you have made them slightly too big for one mouthful, like I did. I'm having the leftovers for lunch today: WEHE!

No comments:

Post a Comment