Saturday 25 September 2010

Beef Gullasch and Cheat's Mash

Honestly, I think this is a work in progress, but bear with me to get a general idea and if / when you improve on it, please let me know.

Preheat oven to 150C

In a casserole with a tight-fitting lid, put:

Small chunks of lean beef
Finely chopped onion
Finely chopped leek
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
3-4 whole unpeeled garlic cloves
1 tbsp paprika
Optional: 1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika (pimenton)
Optional: carrot chunks
Beef stock - about 1/2 glass of liquid, you can always add more if it's too dry

Let it simmer for about 2-3 hours, checking once in a while that it's not drying out (I made the mistake of putting too much liquid yesterday (1 big glass), so I had to take some out - not a good idea!)

For the mash, I steamed (but boiling is probably fine as well) some small chunks of celeriac and swede, until tender enough to mash. Before mashing them, I heated some skimmed milk with 2 tbsp fat free soft cheese and mixed everything together before mashing. It might be fine to blend in a magimix, which I think I'll try next time (you can't do that with potato mash, but since there is no starch in celeriac and swede, I'm thinking the result will be smoother than what I obtained).

Serve with some fat-free fromage frais / yogurt. Oh the pleasure of having something to soak up the yummy gravy! Real Friday night comfort food, and another case of food not needing much attention, just lots of time in the oven while doing other nice and / or practical things :-)

Again, I'll be having the left-over meat on a PP day and probably use some of it for a pasta sauce for our wee one.

No comments:

Post a Comment