Thursday 23 September 2010

Autumnal Beef Casserole with Warming Spices

Preheat oven to 150C

In a casserole dish (ie with a lid), put:

Big lean beef cubes
2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 star anise
3-4 cloves
1 whole chilli
1 cinnamon stick
1 pinch of pepper corns
2 onions cut in quarters
4 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled

If in PV, you can add some carrots in big chunks. I also added some butternut squash during the last 1/2 hour of cooking.

Add lean stock so it comes halfway up the other ingredients.

I cook it for 2 hours early in the day (or the day before), and then depending on the level of tenderness of the meat, I cook it 1/2 - 1 hour before serving. Add some cornflour mixed with cold water for the last 10 min to make the gravy and adjust seasoning.

This dish works in PP and PV, as we had it with some steamed pointy cabbage one night (PV) and the next day for lunch (PP) I just had it without vegetables.

Tip: I think this would work well with any kind of combination of spices/herbs you like and I plan on experimenting with variations

Tip 2: I've discovered that balsamic vinegar replaces wine really well in casserole dishes and gives it a depth of flavour which is difficult to obtain otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment