Monday 11 October 2010

Hot and Sour Salmon with Green Veg


I always struggle with PP days. I just love vegetables too much. So every other day, I make sure that we get LOTS of the green stuff. That was my inspiration for this.

For 2 people.

2 salmon steaks
1 courgette, cut into thick slices
2 baby pak choi, quartered (or other cabbage which cooks quickly)
2-3 handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves

Marinade:
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or grated, in my case)
2 cm of fresh ginger, grated
juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp Thai tom yam paste, if you have some
2-3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

Preheat the oven to 200 C

Mix all the marinade ingredients, then pour half into an oven-proof dish which will fit snugly around the ingredients.

On the marinade, rest the pak choi, then the courgettes. Put the salmon steaks on top, and pour the remaining marinade on them. Then cover the whole thing with spinach leaves. Finally wrap the whole dish tightly in aluminium foil, so no steam can escape while cooking (I thought about making a papillotte, but it seems too fiddly with so many layers).

Cook in the oven for approx 20-30 minutes. Since it's steaming, the fish won't overcook as easily, so don't panic.

When I made this last night, I had just been using the oven for a slow-cook stew, cooked on 150C, and I forgot to increase the temperature until 20 mins into the cooking, so I'm not quite sure how long it would have taken if done correctly...

Tip: make extra marinade, pour over some chicken breasts and cook alongside the fish (in a different dish, obviously) since the oven is already on. I now have a PP lunch for today, quite effortlessly ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment