Thursday 11 November 2010

Lunch Ideas

Pre-Dukan, I used to have a variation of last night's dinner for lunch, ie some cold stir-fry with a salad or a stew made into a soup. But eating like we are now, there aren't that many left-overs as protein is now the bulk and vegetables are a no-no every other day.

PP days are especially tough, I find, as I'm always more inspired by vegetables and just need to get this over and done with. So I've turned to my fatherland, Denmark, for some culinary inspiration, which must be a first. Danish cuisine (Noma notwithstanding, but pleeeease don't get me started on that one) is a lunch cuisine, in the way that British food used to be a breakfast cuisine.

So, what do I have for lunch? Well, lots of fish and lots of egg, sometimes together. One memorable and not-to-be-repeated under any circumstances variation was a tuna omelet (even 3-year old Miss Pink who loves egg AND tuna could not eat that).

I always have some smoked pepper mackrel in the fridge, some ends of hot-smoked salmon, some lumpfish caviar (no, not a luxury item).

A typical plate could be some flaked mackrel, some salmon mixed with fromage frais or yogurt, mustard and capers and a soft-boiled egg (just set enough that it can be peeled).

Or some lumpfish caviar with soft-boiled eggs and finely chopped shallots. I have also made Oeufs Mimosas, ie hard-boiled eggs, where the yolk has been scooped out, mixed with fromage frais / yogurt and some curry powder and placed ack into the halved eggs. Good starter on PP days when the thought of just a steak or a chicken breast just doesn't bear thinking about...

2 comments:

  1. Just throwing an idea for a change: in my country filled eggs traditionally goes with mustard + fresh ground black pepper + few drops of lemon juice instead of curry (and butter, which I replace with yogurt, like in your recipe).

    ReplyDelete